Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ballerina vs Gymnast



I will start and say yes I know my daughter is only 2.5 years old. And I will say that before having children, I always dreamed of having a daughter & taking her to ballet lessons at 2.5 and I think it stemmed from my niece, Kailee. I watched my sister bring her to ballet when she was 2.5 and thought how amazing it was they could learn at that age, but also how incredibly sweet & adorable they looked in their little leotards and tutu's with their hair pulled back in a bun. Her chubby little baby legs poking out from under her tutu at her first dance recital & her little knees were knock kneed... precious. I remember her like it was yesterday, tearing up just thinking about her because now she's 11.5. How time flies.
So I took Gracie to a trial lesson a few months back and signed her up. I took a few photos & posted them on the blog, I was so excited. Yeah! We were going to start ballet in a few months. The day came and went this past Tuesday and it was not what I expected. Gramma Kay went with us. It first started at home, she didn't want her ballet outfit on at all. We got it on and got a few photos. She seemed fine, see here, she's smiling.

So we're on our way, I go to turn left at the light and I get a back seat driver on my hands, she's telling me, "mommy, no, that way! Mommy, other way!" I think, could she possibly remember? We pull into the parking lot and she is screaming "no, no, mommy! NO!" So we get out, go in, I figure we're already here, she's signed up, let's go try it. The entire time, she's throwing herself back on the floor, crying, scowling at anyone who tries to talk to her. The only thing that sparked her interest was the ballerina bar. So we walked over to that, she put her leg up and then threw herself on the floor. Okay. Well. I give up, we tried and I'm done, poor thing she was done before we walked through the door. We didn't make it half way through the class. I am standing in line to cancel and see what I owe for the not even half class we took that day and a sweet lady comes to show us the other dance rooms. Gracie finds this balance beam in a room and is completely content & good at it. To back up, just that morning before getting ready to leave, her and Gramma Kay were outside & Gracie was walking all by herself for the first time across this wall she calls a bridge that simulates a balance beam & is SO proud of herself and keeps walking across, back & forth. So of course before even going I'm thinking we may be going to the wrong program. As we're leaving the ballet school, she has climbed 2 other things that aren't supposed to be climbed on & people are commenting & saying "oh no, honey you're going to get hurt." While I'm thinking, "na, she climbs on everything, she's fine." She's been very strong ever since a baby & always sure footed and never a klutz like me. So I canceled our ballet class & we went to the gym trial yesterday. The night before the class she was doing summer saults on her own. Like I said, I know she's only 2, I just want to find something fun for her and with all the God given signs, she's not a twirling, frolicking ballerina! And that is okay with me.

We just got home from gymnastics, see the smile on her face? First of all, she loved wearing her outfit. It has hearts & sparkles, & it's pink! As soon as she saw the inside of the gym she was SO excited. Yelling "open, mommy, open!" So we went in and she ran full force to the gym equipment, climbing & jumping on everything she could get a hold of. She was like a monkey swinging in a jungle, she'd found her environment. We had a great time, except as we go she'll need to learn how to take turns, share & enjoy warm up session with everyone. Following instructions is not her cup of tea, she likes to do what she wants when she wants. So after fighting and struggling with her, and watching her throw herself on the floor screaming numerous times in the middle of the circle because she wanted the balance beam & we had to do warm up, she was great! She should get used to the routine eventually, hope so anyway and not be so upset. She's a stinker though...as she climbed the ladder and realized girls were behind her, she started going backwards to hog it so they couldn't get on. Then when they were to jump on a long trampoline forward and hop off, she'd get to the end, not jump off and go the opposite direction, the oncoming traffic of the other 2 year olds, she hogged that, too. And she said that the balance beam was hers. JEEZ. Well if anything this class will teach manners, sharing, taking turns and patience! haha :) And I failed to mention that because this is a mommy & me class, parents are involved in the workouts, too. I haven't thought of doing a split in years! Boy do I suck at those & do they hurt. I need to practice so I don't look like such an idiot next time. I think we're getting a 2 for one on this deal!

2 comments:

Leslie Lauren said...

Yaaay Gracie!! :) :) :)

She looks so adorable in that little gym outfit :) :) :) She's a little Jane Fonda! HAHA!

Hey guess what??? Corbin is swimming without his swim vest!!!! He's so proud of himself too. I'd like to think Gracie inspired him ;)

Jaime said...

OH that's awesome! Yeah Corbin! :)