I've been wanting to grow a garden for a long time, especially this past year since we've lived here a while and I SO miss the farmer's market up in Minneapolis. My heart aches for that farmer's market (but we won't tell Todd that) I didn't have too much faith in myself because I kill every house plant & that's why we have all fake flowers & palm trees in our house. The one thing I do have is our lucky bamboo and Todd waters it! So anyway, I decided it's time especially after a few of my friends started and were really enjoying it. So far everything has started in pots & I'll be making a raised garden on the side of the house to transfer everything once it's bigger. We planted green & red peppers, tomatoes, an avocado tree, which just sprouted last week. Cayenne Peppers, banana peppers, cilantro and oregano. I tried romaine lettuce & Todd found caterpillars eating all the leaves, he literally watched their mouths moving, chewing away at the lettuce, they had a feast! So no more lettuce. The cilantro flopped, that has been a bit of controversy in our house. I had it under our patio for shade & every time I went out, Todd had moved it sitting in the sun. I asked him to please leave it in the shade, and I kept finding it out in the sun. I'm thinking, whose garden is this anyway? So I gave up, left it out in the sun and he came to me a few days later and said I killed the cilantro! Can you believe the nerve? He said it's all dried & frizzled up & that the cilantro didn't like me! So we're starting the cilantro over & we made a compromise where it will go. And we're also going to plant zucchini.
Gracie absolutely loves the garden, waters it & checks it every morning. She was so excited about watching our first Cayenne Pepper turning red. A few days ago she woke up and said, "It's red, it's red! Come see, mommy! I'll show you!" So we go outside and there it is! Bright red! She says "see, God made it red, mommy!" Oh she's so cute. So we picked it & she's been carrying that pepper around so proud & excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment